Commissioned by the British Music Society. 1st performed 23rd Feb. 1980 by Edwin Rolles (tenor) and John Blood (piano) at Goldsmiths’ College, London. A delightful sequence of songs vividly evoking the joys and sorrows of railway travel. GZ022 is an arrangement of the same work for tenor, piano and wind quintet.
- The Locomotive (Alexander Anderson)
- Faintheart in a railway train (Thomas Hardy)
- Journey by train (W. E. Henley)
- Adlestrop (Edward Thomas)
- From a railway carriage (R. L. Stevenson)